Friday, July 11, 2014

Mary: A Catholic-Evangelical Debate by Dwight Longenecker and David Gustafson

Having been raised Protestant and converted to Catholicism, I was curious about the topic in debate about Mary. I dove into this debate discussion in an effort to deepen my devotion to Mary. I am very much for Christian unity and I know it is important to have a polite dialogue. Marian theology has always been a point of contention for our Evangelical brothers and sisters about the Catholic Faith. The debate is between two friends that went to Bob Jones University and then one became a married minister in the Church of England who converted to be a Catholic Priest and the other is an Evangelical lawyer with the Justice department of the government. The debate covers Catholic doctrine on Mary such as Mary’s perpetual virginity, Immaculate Conception, and Assumption. Prayers such as the Rosary and titles such as Co-redeemer and God’s mother are also discussed. This book has strengthened my faith and devotion to Mary. It will also help me to be able to evangelize and speak up for my faith and for Mary in a polite, intelligent way. I definitely recommend this book for all Christians to be able to take a more critical intellectual, reasoned approach to how Mary always leads us to her son Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment